What Caused the Massive YouTube Outage? Platform Responds

YouTube says it has fixed a global outage that affected hundreds of thousands of users late Tuesday.

Update: 2026-02-18 09:14 GMT

YouTube said late Tuesday it had fixed a widespread outage that affected hundreds of thousands of users worldwide.

Tracking website Downdetector reported more than 300,000 complaints about problems accessing the platform. The reports peaked at around 0100 GMT and later began to decline.

During the outage, visitors to the homepage were shown a message asking them to return later.

Services appeared to be restored by 0400 GMT, when AFP journalists were able to access the site.

“The issue with our recommendations system has been resolved and all of our platforms (YouTube.com, the YouTube app, YouTube Music, Kids, and TV) are back to normal!” YouTube posted on its help page.

The company had earlier said that “an issue with our recommendations system prevented videos from appearing across surfaces on YouTube (including the homepage, the YouTube app, YouTube Music and YouTube Kids).”

YouTube is owned by Google. It has more than 2.5 billion monthly active users and is the world’s largest video sharing platform.

Tags:    

Similar News